it has been a while since we had a Food Friday post with all the hustle and bustle of Christmas but here we are again.
Every season has its traditional drink like refreshing bowls for summer or hot apple cider for fall so does winter – especially Christmas season. I traditionally crave my first eggnog of the season after watching “A Christmas Vacation” with Chevy Chase. One of the best Christmas movies ever (have a look at all the movies I have seen so far here). There is one scene in particular where Clark and his cousin Eddie enjoy a glass of tradidional eggnog in these adroable moose glasses and that always gets me in the mood for it.
The glasses are sold on amazon but they are too expensive for my taste. But you can find them here if you like
So here is the recipe for a traditional eggnog. I personally like mine hot but you can enjoy it cooled as well.
– 500 ml milk (I use oat milk or lactose free milk)
– 150 ml heavy cream
– 1 pinch of cinnamon
– 1 pinch of nutmeg
– 1 vanilla bean
– 4 egg yolks
– 80 gr. of sugar
– bourbon or rum (if you want but not necessary at all)
– mix the milk, heavy cream, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a big pot
– gently remove the mark of the vanilla bean and stir it into your milk mixture
– heat it up but don´t let it cook at all
– take a separate bowl and mix together 4 eggs yolks and the sugar
– stir until light and fluffy
– take your heated milk mixture and slowly stir into your egg mixture (make sure to stir all the time)
– put the whole mixture back in the pot and heat up again on medium heat
– be sure to stir all the time until the mixutre starts to thicken, this is when your eggnog is ready
– you can now enjoy it hot immediately or cool it down and serve it ice cold
– add a shot of bourbon or rum into the glass before serving if anybody likes it this way
I am so looking forward to serving and drinking our traditional Christmas drink at Christmas day. Do you guys have any signature drinks you make every year.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.